Monday, January 11, 2010

Kid Jewelry Issues

Hey guys - you know I don't generally do this, but PLEASE read this story, then SERIOUSLY consider getting rid of your kid's costume jewelry.
This isn't a hoax, or a chain letter, I typed this myself after I saw this story in the Atlanta paper today. I'm not sure if the story is being covered in Nashville yet. We have CDC headquarters here, so we get some of this stuff 1st sometimes:
Basically, manufacturers were forced to replace lead in making kid's jewelry - so they are using Cadmium, a highly carcenogenic substance. Looks like there aren't any laws (yet) that restrict the use of Cadmium in kid's jewelry, but testing is showing that it is present in 10 to 12% of charms, pendants, pins, etc from Walmart/Claire's/Dollar stores. This stuff is HIGHLY toxic - it is # 7 on the CDC's most hazardous substances in the environment list.
Per a statement from a CDC toxicologist:
"There's nothing positive that you can say about this metal. It's a poison," said Bruce A. Fowler, a cadmium specialist and toxicologist with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On the CDC's priority list of 275 most hazardous substances in the environment, cadmium ranks No. 7."
It makes me very upset to consider that this stuff is a well-known cancer-causer, and people are KNOWINGLY putting it in jewelry for kids!! Worst of all, there's no way to tell by looking whether it is in the jewelry or not.
A piece of cheap jewelry may mean your kid is getting exposed to cancer. Please SERIOUSLY consider getting rid of your kid's costume jewelry.
I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I LOVE you guys, and sharing this story this is one thing I can do to help your little ones to remain healthy.

1 comment:

MrsSpock said...

That's scary! We don't have any kiddo jewelry- but this is good to know.