Sunday, October 11, 2009

This CVS Doesn't Have a Drive Through

I had the CVS on Friday. Sorry I didn't post about it - it's taken me a while to figure out what I think and how I feel about it.

First, let me take a moment to say thanks to all of my online friends that supported me, checked on me, and/or prayed, sent good vibes, or good wishes for me. Thank you so much. It's times like these that I realize that support is a treasured thing. I hope I can be there to support you ladies should you need it.

Also, I'd like to say a big thanks to my Mommy - aka Nana - I was so thrilled you agreed to come to help us last minute. When your grandbaby Jim got sick on Thursday with a 104.6 fever, and I called you, it was a blessing to hear your lack of reserve in offering to help. Friday was already expected to be so hard - I didn't know how we were going to handle it with Jim so sick and me unable to help out after my procedure. 48 hrs of not being able to lift him wasn't going to be easy without the illness... With your help we made it through and it was a nice weekend overall. Love you Mommy!

On to the CVS Recap...

The procedure took lots longer than I thought it would. They took a long time to decide how to best access the baby. It appears that this one is sitting high, so they chose the abdominal route.

I was really, really, really hoping they'd choose the drive-through option... I've had catheters in my Vjayjay before - I was prepared for that. I really was terrified at the idea of the needle in the belly. Turns out I knew what I was thinking.

Does anyone want to know what being stabbed feels like?!?!? I can tell you...

Yes, they did numb the skin, but that isn't what hurt. It was when they, without warning, poked a needle through my non-numb uterus. OMG! I swear, they could numb that shit... they really could, right? Ouch, fucking, ouch.

I had on headphones and was rocking out to an old-school song, so I might have just not heard the warning that I was about to be stabbed. I'm willing to give the Dr. credit on that one.

However, once we were in the car, my husband replayed for me the volume with which I "said" the now-famous line, "FUCK! THAT HURT!". <--- note the use of all caps, suggesting I did not so much say it, as yell it, so that everyone in that Dr.'s office should have heard me clearly and come running to my aid.

So that everyone understands, the procedure was bad, but I know that even knowing what I know now I would feel that the test was the right way to go. BUT I would go into it differently - I might ask for what kinds of meds they could give me to help me relax or take the edge off. I don't think women's medicine has caught up with women's needs for painless proceedures.

According to my Dr's office there is the possibilty that we will get preliminary results back on Monday/Tuesday. These results would be from a rapid test that is around 90 - 95% accurate. It can tell us if there was any markers for Trisomy 21, 18, or 13, and the sex of the baby.

The final results will come in by Friday, most likely. Those will be the most accurate results. I'm not sure how the results compare, or if the full testing checks for more things. I'm going to try not to stress between now and then... We'll see how well I do at that.

5 comments:

Stacie said...

I haven't had the CVS, but they way yours was done sounds a lot like the procedure for amnios. I didn't enjoy the amnios very much, either. Hugs.

I hope the results come in sooner rather than later. I am praying with all I've got that you get good news. Sending love and strength your way today and always...

MrsSpock said...

I had no idea they could do CVS through the abdominal route. Holy crap- it sounds awful. I hope you at least get the preliminary ASAP. I know what it feels like to wait for the very worst news ever. I was an utter basket case this past summer, and so very grateful for all the support and comments I got. Hugs to you!

Queenie. . . said...

I hope you get good news today. I ha CVS done a few months ago, after poor screening tests, and the wait wa s torture. Sorry t hear it was so painful-my dr. Had warned me, so I was prepared as the needle went thru stomach muscle, then uterus. I can't imagine how I would have felt about it if I didn't know it was coming.

ME Gregory said...

I know nothing about CVS - and I am so sorry that it was painful (I think I naively thought it was less painful than an amnio, but that sounds awful what you went through). I've been thinking about you since Friday. I sure hope you get information sooner rather than later. Keep us posted - we are waiting with you!

Furrow said...

OMG! That sounds horrible! I hope you get some very, very good news out of it, though.