Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Medication Blunders and Egg Count and Sacrifice

This morning started with some big fun! We received the much-needed For those that don't use this medication, let me fill you in on the storage of this med:

"Proper storage of Ganirelix :
Store Ganirelix at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ganirelix out of the reach of children and away from pets."

There were no bathrooms, children, or pets in the box - so can you guess what was amiss with it? Yep, we opened the Gani.relix Rx only to find it was packed on ice.

I then called the mail order pharmacy only to be told that it was "Fine". I asked to speak to the Pharmacist, again, she said it was fine to be shipped cold. To which I replied, "The manufacturer says "brief storage below 59 degrees, and 12 hours isn't brief. Would you gamble $20,000 on the CHANCE that this drug was still good after 12 hours on ice?".

They are shipping me 2 new cartridges. Luckily I have one for tomorrow morning from the original order. Sigh.

Egg Watch 2010:

Current count Left: 6 @ 1.3 to 1.7
Current count Right: 2 @ 1.2 to 1.5

So, we might get a wee bit more than 7 after all. Maybe.

It looks like they will have me trigger on Thursday night, which puts me doing our retrieval on Jim's Birthday. Hopefully Jim is wishing for a sibling for his Birthday!

Jim's Birthday, what are the chances of that?!?!?! I'm a bit sad though - I was hoping to be able to celebrate with him at school, and to setup a party for him at home over the weekend. Now I'll most likely be in surgery while he is celebrating at school, and I'll have to figure out when to have his party at home - maybe the next weekend. I'm not sure.

Sacrifice is something I have to live with because of IF. Who knew my 2 yr old would have to sacrifice for the sake of IF too.

1 comment:

BigP's Heather said...

Glad they are sending you new meds!!

Yeah. I feel bad that our tries for another child always affect Katherine. But at least they won't remember this later on and hopefully they will love their siblings enough to not care.