Monday, March 8, 2010

Thoughts from the RE

I talked with my RE today about the 3-day vs. 5-day transfer.
RE explained that the reason for going to 5 day was to have a declaration of the "best" embryos, but that it does seem to somewhat stress the embies.
So, we worked together to break it down a bit, so I could be in the loop on the decision. He said if we had embies tomorrow here would be the basic decision scenario:
90% A-grade & 10% B-grade or lower --> Five-day transfer of the best 2
50% A-grade & 50% B-grade or lower --> Three-day transfer of 2 A-grade
Just noticed I didn't ask him what if they were all grade B or lower... hmmm...
The trick is to have a clear separation of which embies are "best" - if it isn't clear they would push to day 5.
He said the success rates are not way,way better on day 3 or day 5, but the "winner" is clearer - I'm thinking maybe they would transfer more embies on day 3 than day 5 typically, but not on me, since I've gotten PG 2 out of 2 IVF cycles. RE has said I'm limited to 2 - no more. :)

** edited this a bit because the last part was even hard for me to read with so many grammar mistakes and missing. :)


ME Gregory said...

that makes sense and seems like a good plan. Best of luck!

MrsSpock said...

That makes more sense to me too. The fert report was good- hope you get lots of "A-grade" embies...