Monday, July 9, 2007

Much Pain and an Early 5-wk US

Last night at about 2 AM I woke to sharp pains from my left side. The pain happened when I tried to roll from sleeping on my left side to my right. I woke yelling in pain, rolled back to my left side and the pain quit. Then I tried again, thinking maybe it was hip pain... It was just as bad but was more clear that it was coming from my the area of my uterus.

I was very scared that my worst nightmare had come true and I had another ectopic. I started gearing up to cry, and realized it would be silly to scare myself for the rest of the night. The pain went away as fast as it came on. So, I petted Humphries for a few minutes and fell back to sleep.


I called my RE this morning - they said to come in about 9:45. I dropped by my work office for a few minutes, answered a few emails, and then left for the RE's office. While I waited several ladies came out of the procedure rooms carrying light blue bags. It appears these are Congratulations bags. Several of the ladies were told "I can't believe you are graduating to the OB's office!" and "We'll miss you!", so I guess these were parting goody bags. :) One lady said to me, "Don't worry, you'll get yours!", with a big grin on her face. One can only hope...

Finally I had my turn... They did an ultrasound on my (I'm 5 wks today). They saw a very small gestational sac, right smack in the middle of my uterus. It appears, unless there are identical twins in there, that we are having a singleton. That's just fine by me.

They then scanned my ovaries and the previous location of my left fallopian tube. There didn't appear to be anything unusual in those areas.

I talked with the RE afterwards and he thinks the pain could be from scar tissue or an adhesion (where something mis-attached after ectopic surgery). The pain could be pulling or tearing from either of those things. He said if the pain continues or gets worse to call and they would have another look. Right now he isn't worried, based on the scan.

So, for right now, it looks like baby is right where it should be and there is nothing obviously scary going on.

They scheduled me for my follow-up ultrasound for Monday, July 23rd first thing in the morning. That is about a week later than I thought it would be, but that's OK. By that time the heart should be in full swing, and we should get some good pictures of how baby is doing.

8 comments:

Gemini Girl said...

The pain of scar tissue- I know it well.

Thank GD the baby is fine! Yeahy!

The pain may be from your stretching uterus. I had intense pain for the first few weeks that I needed to sleep on the cold bathroom floor to alieve my pain. This went on until the 6th week or so. As long as the doctor said everything was ok- try not to stress! At least you finally saw your little baby and you know that its NOT an ectopic!

ultimatejourney said...

I just found you through Gil and wanted to say congratulations and glad to hear everything is fine!

DebbieDo said...

I'm sorry you were in pain. Hopefully it won't come back. But Congratualtions for the BFP!!

I'll have to move you to the "Success Stories" area of my blog now :)

Samantha said...

I'm glad that things look good for the baby. I hope that the pain doesn't continue.

Anonymous said...

I hope the pain doesn't come back, but I am glad you know that everything is where it should be.

Tam said...

Glad that everything is looking good, it must be scary. Thinking of you and praying that everything continues to go well. Hugs xxx

hammygirl said...

This is a fantastic update! Glad everything looks good in there!

Baby Blues said...

That's scary. I hope that's the last scare for the next nine months.