Sunday, August 9, 2009

PPD vs. PPP

Akeeyu, over at Her Very Own, posted a very important story - please go over and read it.

For all of you who know and love a woman that is wanting to get pregnant and bring home baby - please go over and read it.

Her message isn't about IF, it is about her postpartum struggle and her walk through the 9th level of Hell. She has bared her soul so that women will know about PPP - Post Partum Psychosis and provided links that will help you know the difference between PPP and PPD (Post Partum Depression).

So, why am I all hot on the topic? It is because, while I didn't get as far down the rabbit hole as Akeeyu, I did experience a very bad case of post partum depression. Really, until today, I didn't know how bad it was...

"Why today?", you ask all full of wonder and awe that 1 1/2 years later I'm just figuring it out.

Because, darling, I was reminding hubby of the hard time I had right after Jim was born as a lead-in to telling him how brave and amazing I thought it was that Akeeyu told her story, and he bleated out, "Oh, no, did she hurt her children?".

If you know much about PPP, you would know that this clued me in that he knew a main differentiating symptom of PPP vs. PPD, which is thinking of hurting oneself or the baby. I quickly explained that no, all was well, and that she had asked for help and received it. He was visibly relieved.

Then he said he had been worried about me, and my reaction post-baby. That's why he had understood PPP without much explanation. He did research on what was affecting me!!! Thanks for telling me to seek help, hubby - NOT! Granted, we did discuss it, and I declined help, but MAN push me next time! Or make the Dr's appt for me! :)

As you can imagine, this lead to a long and important discussion about what we would do differently if we manage to bring home another baby.

We also discussed the GAPING hole in post-partum care for the mother. See, baby gets seen by their pediatrician within 2 days of being released from the hospital.

Mommy? When is your checkup? Who's watching to see if you are OK? Ummm...

Bueller? Bueller?

Yep, that's right Mommy - the OB is on call for you, and tou can reach out for help anytime, but your next scheduled appointment isn't for 6 WEEKS!!!

What?

You read it right, 6 WEEKS!

Doesn't that just seem a bit long to you? Yeah, me too...

Hubby and I discussed making stop-gap plans to set up a MANDATORY check-up at 2 to 3 wks post partum with my General Practioner. We will give him pre-baby-arrival instructions to question me about PPD and PPP symptoms, and he is to take evasive action with anti-depressants (or whatever is necessary) and send over a Nanny*.

See Akeeyu, you have already helped someone plan to ask for help ...before they even need it. :)

Thanks again! Really, from the bottom of my and my hubby's hearts.


* Yes, Akeeyu, I think it is a darned good idea! I might just plan to have one on call...

3 comments:

Stacie said...

I have thought about this topic, too, because I know (now) I was deeply depressed after the boys were born. I was even given a script for antidepressants--but never filled it. I was so wrapped up in the whole idea that doing so would mean I was a failure that I never did the best thing for myself and get the stupid script filled! In reality, that was where I failed.

Good for you and hubby for thinking ahead! (I so hope you'll need this plan in say 9 months or so!) Hugs.

MrsSpock said...

I was slipping into PPD, made worse by awful guilt-ridden BF experience, and was at the point where I didn't even want to touch my son.

Next time, if there ever be such a thing, I'm hiring a PP Doula.

mommymuse said...

I LOVE that you posted this, and just included you on this week's Mommy-Muse.com Favorites: PPD and PPP Blog Posts, where I admit it drives me CRAZY when people in the media get PPP and PPD mixed up. New moms will avoid getting the help they need out of fear that they will be seen as "wacko." Thanks so much for helping to set the record straight.