Saturday, May 26, 2007

Day 3 of Lupron... All's Well!

I'm on day 3 of Lu.pron!!!

Wooo Hoo, the train has left the station on this IVF journey! I can't believe it really. I have had so many things try to get in the way of us ever doing IVF that I thought I would NEVER get here.

The Lu.pron doesn't seem to be doing anything to me yet... no hot flashes or headaches, so all is good in my opinion. :)

I am starting to mark off the days on the calendar, and I'm getting pretty excited. I've managed to shed a few pounds too by watching what I'm putting into my mouth. I am trying to avoid junk foods, artificially sweetened and processed foods - it's whole foods for me! I'm not going all-out, but I'm trying to choose whole fruits and veggies, less-processed breads and meats that haven't been packed with preservatives.

Also, thanks to Baby Blues, I have done a smashing job of avoiding caffeine!! The day she posted the effects of caffeine I started cutting out sodas and chocolate (my only two source, as I don't drink tea or coffee). Frankly, I haven't missed it. I actually find that I don't get tired and sluggish as much as I used to!!

I knew that caffeine wasn't a good idea when trying to conceive, but I really hadn't much considered quitting. I was only drinking about 1 to 1 1/2 glasses of diet coke per day. Then I thought about all the artificial sweeteners that are in diet drinks and the like. That, combined with some personal experiences with food of late, lead me to think more about what I was putting into my body.

Then, I met a woman that said she had lost 53 pounds in 9 months by eating only whole foods (non-processed). She explained that her Dr. thought her diabetes might be made worse with the highly processed sweeteners. He suggested that some of the patients had done really well by modifying their diets to eat real sugar and less sweeteners, but kept their diets low in sugar.

Anyway, all these things combined left me thinking - hey, let's give it a go. What have I got to loose, really? Couldn't come up with anything, so I went for it. :)

I'll let you all know how long it lasts... LOL

7 comments:

CAM said...

I am excited for you starting the ivf. I am on day 10 of my ivf cycle. There is a definite feeling of hope that comes with the idea that this is THE time! My doc initially said he would do the lupron but then changed his mind? I am curious what your doc had to say about taking it?
Here's to positive results!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

So exciting! I hope that this cycle goes smoothly and that you have nothing but happy news at the end! Thinking of you!

Samantha said...

Good to know the cycle is getting started. Luron made me a little grouchy, but really not until I was on it for over a week.

Good luck with the change of diet! I'm still drinking tea currently, but I'll probably cut out before my next cycle. I tend to yo-yo between drinking it and going caffeine free, depending on whether I'm cycling. Probably would be better just to give it up all together, but I can't seem to do that!

Unknown said...

Great job on giving up the caffeine! Hope the upcoming IVF days are easy to deal with.

Jamie said...

You should check out the Weight Watchers Core program. It is an excellent diet based on whole foods that you can even eat when pregnant (with an extra dairy). The best part is that it allows you to eat until satisifaction. I had a lot of success on it in the past.

Good luck this cycle. Doesn't it feel great to mark the days on the calendar? Retrieval will be here before you know it!

Baby Blues said...

I'm right here cheering and excited for you! Keep us posted.

We could do without caffeine or at least make the conscious effort to avoid it. Good luck.

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

I thought you might find this interesting. Healthline has compiled a list of the Effects of Caffeine on the Body in a visual graphic and I thought you and your readers would be interested in seeing the information.

You can check out the information at http://www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-effects-on-body We’ve had good feedback about the article and we think it will benefit your readers by giving them med-reviewed information in a visual way.

If you think this information is a good fit for your audience would you share it on your site, http://nearlydawn.blogspot.com/2007/05/day-3-of-lupron-alls-well.html , or social media?

Let me know what you think and have a great week.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3100 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp