Saturday, May 19, 2007

IVF Consult with RE!!!

Well, Ladies it looks like we have started tickling the dragons tail in earnest now. :)

Hubby and I went in yesterday for our first IVF consultation, where we got our protocol schedule and went over the medications regime. I must say, I am a little scared!!!

At one point in the schedule I will be taking 3 shots per day plus antibiotics and Estr.adiol and an ultrasound! It looks like a laundry list when you write out the to-do's per day! Man, I had noooo idea what you ladies were going through!!

Then, of course, there are the PIO shots that start on transfer day - whoopie! I can't wait, based on what all of you have been telling me it will be a joy and a half. :)

I'm scared, I'm nervous, and I'm ready to get the show on the road. How is it possible to have all 3 feelings at one time?? Not sure, but it makes for a fun time! :P

The RE and Hubby and I talked about what made us move on to IVF. I told my RE in no uncertain terms that I AM TIRED of doing all this IF stuff. If I knew that this will not work I would adopt a child, and be a loving mother. That every month we waste on IF is one more month I don't get to spend with my children. RE seemed to understand this idea...

Hubby told him that he had moved into the IVF camp when he realized the threat of another ectopic was so high, and that he might be needlessly upping the % risk and endangering my life to have a child. RE seemed to understand this idea too...

By the way, during the visit I told my RE that some of my questions came from my blogging friends' experiences... He sat back and said that I needed to get my information "straight from the horses mouth rather than from fanatics..." and then expressed concerns that I was becoming a fanatic myself. I got angry, I'm sure he saw it on my face and heard it in my voice...

I made it very clear to him that getting the information I need to feel secure in my decisions is my method. I explained that some of my information comes from medical journals, white papers, and even his own company's published reports and statistics. Also, that I get information from women that are going through what I am and that IS getting it "straight from the horses mouth", as these women's experiences are real world.

We sat calmly for a moment after this... I would say it went rather well. :)

He seems to understand that I WILL know what is going on, I WILL ask questions, I WILL decide what does and does not work for me. He doesn't like it, but I guess I'm not paying for him to be my best friend, just my best General in this fight against IF.

Onward and upward we go!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Good luck with everything! I say, get as much information as you need! At least my RE always seems to expect me to know things in more detail, so I think doctors are starting to catch on that their patients like to do a little research.

The Momcaster said...

good for you for standing up for yourself!!
knowledge is power so you owe it to yourself to get as much of it as you can.
best of luck with ivf!!

Baby Blues said...

Onward and upward... the only way to go. Best of luck! I'm so excited for you.