Sunday, June 3, 2007

Have Lupron Will Travel....

Well, Hubby and I just returned from a relaxing weekend away. We went up to my parents' home on Friday night, then went to BIL/SIL's home for Saturday night. We also took in a show from Steven Wright - soooo funny!

I took my IF and my Lu.pron with me in a cooler and kept its existence strictly private. I took my shots like a good girl, and I said nil about it.

I'm sure many of you have experienced the support group problem, it is great to have a support group, but soooo hard when they come asking for updates after bad news. It is like reliving the events to have to explain over and over that "No, it didn't work" and in my case to have to explain ectopic to people. I really didn't know it was much of a mystery, but I guess people just don't talk about it enough.

So, our plan is to share the story of this cycle with very few people. We want to grieve in private if it doesn't work.

So far the Lu.pron shots are going OK. I've stopped the BCPs and AF has arrived (just like the protocol predicted). :) On Wednesday I have an appointment for my suppression check. If all is well we will start stims on Thursday. Whoo hoo!

I have to remember to ask for the miscarriage profile tests... A few in this wonderful bloggy group have opened my eyes to this panel of tests, and I hope to have it done myself. I want to ensure we can find and treat any obvious reason for my previous miscarriages! Thanks gals!

Saturday night was pretty wild... While sitting on the screened porch of my BIL/SIL's a freak severe thunderstorm came up that ran us into the house (sideways rain is never good on a screened porch).

We heard a big crash in the front yard, and saw part of their large tree come down, narrowly missing a friend's parked car. A very large branch was still hanging just above the hood, making my heart stop every time it rocked.

While trying to reach the neighbor that owned the car. We heard a great crash in the backyard, and ran back just in time to see a tree land 2 feet from where we had been sitting just moments before!

A 50ft Hackberry tree that was in the alley behind the houses came down across their neighbor's fence, across their shared fence line, and landed on the two houses' power lines. The lines didn't break!

So, we had a large tree down, across live wires, and the storm was no where near over. We spent an anxious few minutes darting around the house while more limbs and such fell around the neighborhood. That's when I remembered the limb in the tree I was so worried about... I said "Did you ever call the neighbors about the car?" Nope, we had forgotten to call!

As soon as they heard, J the neighbor ran out into the monsoon to move the car and found the battery was dead! He was able to put it in neutral and move it back about 15 ft. J closed the door to to car, walked up to his house, and WHAM! The big limb fell - right where the car had been. A sigh of relief has never sounded so loud before!

Amazingly, the storm died down and in about 20 minutes, and after a bit of damage surveying and a call to the power company, we were able to leave for dinner as planned! Great dinner, 'nuf said.

We then caught a great performance from the comedian Steven Wright - I highly recommend this guy if he is coming near your town! We thought with all the evening's tree drama that it might be hard to relax... We didn't stop laughing for 2 hours straight!!! Oh man, so great!

We were in Ryman Auditorium, the birthplace of Country Music.... Nashville is said to be "Country Music City USA". Well, Steven, he does all of his jokes deadpan and NEVER smiles/laughs during his routine. All of his jokes are thinking jokes... One of his jokes is done as a song, he accompanies himself on guitar... He stopped singing, mid song, and said "Man, this place isn't good for music is it?" The crowd just died laughing!! He started laughing too and said "I've been waiting 3 weeks to say that!" That made us all laugh that much harder!

To wrap up the night we sat on the porch at Midnight, eating chips and watching the power company cut and restring the power lines. Neat, neat, neat! Those guys should be commended for doing a dangerous job with such speed and efficiency! I was thoroughly impressed!

That's all for now! Whew, a lot to tell from a little 2-day escape, huh? Hope all is well with everyone out there!!


Bean said...

Hi -- thanks for coming over to visit the other day. I guess I better make sure I do a better job of keeping my blog up-to-date!

I know what you mean about having to relive bad news. I've discovered that having friends know about all this can be both a blessing and a curse. Good luck!

CAM said...

The support group is a funny the beginning of a cycle you are excited to tell them. But, then when the bad news hits you feel like you keep having to say it over and over. Tricky thing.
Thanks for your comments on my blog the other day :)

Anonymous said...

That was an action packed 2 days!

Good luck as this cycle gets really rolling.

Samantha said...

Sounds like quite an exciting weekend!

I know what you mean about telling people. It feels good at the time, but then later, you have to explain when you don't want to talk about it. I went through the same thing with my last IVF cycle when the transfer was canceled. A few more people than I realized knew I was doing the cycle, so of course they wanted to know how it went...

Leah said...

I agree 100% with the support group thoughts. Until this current cycle, we had shared everything with our friends and family. On one hand it was nice to have people who were invested in the cycle and wanted updates. But, on the other hand, it got old having to play ART Educator to a bunch of fertiles who didn't get it, despite their best efforts.

This current cycle we have kept to ourselves (except my sister and my in-laws -- oh and my IF blog buddies, of course). I can't believe how wonderful it feels! I mentioned to my husband the other day that although I was *alone* this time (meaning no daily updates to tell half a dozen friends), I didn't feel *lonely*.

Also, we got testing done after both of our miscarriages. I'm not sure if you are talking about testing for yourself (for blood clotting issues, antibody issues, etc.) or testing on the baby. We had both babies tested...the first one came back chromosomally normal (so no explanation), but the second one came back with trisomy 5. I can highly recommend any kind of testing available to you -- try to get all the answers you can!

Hopefully this cycle you won't need to grieve at all -- you'll be able to CELEBRATE!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It sounds like you had a good 2 days.

Good luck with this cycle!